As a follow-up to my last month’s blog of cleaning tips in general, here are the room-by-room cleaning tips I promised for your big Springtime Cleaning Over-Haul!
Room by Room Cleaning Tips:
– Dust refrigerator coils with the crevice attachment on your vacuum cleaner – don’t forget to turn off power at the circuit breaker or fuse box.
– Defrost the freezer – turn off power, empty contents, wipe interior with a solution of 2 tbsp baking soda per 1 qt hot water.
– Swap heavy drapes, rugs, and throws for lightweight ones Bedrooms
– Rotate bed and change blankets – flip your mattress and replace cool-weather bedding with warm-weather bedding
– Clean pillows -most pillows can be machine washed, which rids them of mold, bacteria, and odors
– Update first-aid kit – include a list of emergency phone numbers
– Discard expired cosmetics and beauty products
– Replace cool-weather clothing with warm-weather items
– Wash or dry-clean garments before storing them for the summer months
– Donate apparel you no longer use to someone who would use them
– Organize files – review insurance policies, contracts, and household inventories
– Clean computers and other office equipment – use a solution of 1 drop mild dish-washing liquid per 1 qt of water – use a lint-free cloth to dry items
– Clean attic and basement – give away or discard unwanted items – divide the rest into 2 zones: 1 for things you’ll need in the next 6 months and 1 for objects that may be unused for years
– Protect items in the basement by using concrete blocks to keep them off the ground – make sure your washer & dryer are on elevated pedestals to prevent electrical shock during potential winter flooding
– Clean porch ceilings, walls, rails and steps
– Scrub decks, patios, driveways, and walkways
– Wash outdoor furniture
– Check light fixtures and refresh with light bulbs as needed
Hopefully these tips will make your annual Spring Cleaning go a little smoother!
— Lisa Doughty, Office Coordinator